I never thought I would like moroccan spice(s) but this has become one of my favorites. I grew up on potatoes, meat and vegetables every night. Very basic but very good. My mother has always been a great cook. My dad didn't like spice so meals were mild, but very good. Did I mention....that they were very good. I say this cause I know my mother will read this. That's really not the reason. It REALLY was good. Thanks MOM :)
So it's only been in the last few years that I had decided to live a little, be bold, step out of my comfort zone, and explore the world of SPICES. Spices
are used extensively in Moroccan food. Some of the common spices include cinnamon, turmeric, cumin, ginger, pepper spices, paprika, coriander and saffron.
Today, I mixed up a bunch of the following spices so I had enough for a few more meals down the road. Here's a list of the spices used and the quantities if you'd like to give it a shot. I don't think you'll be disappointed. It's a great combination. I love the hint of cinnamon with the cayenne and chili pepper. Don't be afraid of the word CAYENNE OR CHILI pepper. I always was until I finally tried it. Boy was I missing out all those years. Anyways, here's the spice recipe I put together and tonight I tried it on a shwack of veges. TRY IT......I THINK YOU'LL LIKE (love) IT!!!
MOROCCAN SPICE MIX
2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp chile powder
1/2 tsp sweet paprika
2 tsp ground cumin
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp allsprice
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (if you like spicy, add a bit more)
1/2 tsp sugar
Mix together.
Cut the following vegetables into chunks:
1 red onion
1/2 butternut squash
1/2 yam (pink one)
1/2 sweet potato
1 larger beet
5 carrots
2 parsnips
(I added some radishes too)
Be creative.
I also steamed some broccoli and added that at the end.
Put all the cut up veges in a bowl, add 1/8 cup of olive or coconut oil as well as the spices. Toss well. Put into an 8x8 pan for baking in oven. Bake at 400 for 30-40 mins. (this will depend on how big you cut your chunks) Test them at 30 mins.
As a side dish, I baked salmon, although lamb and chicken are common in the Moroccan world of cooking.
BON APPETITE :)
I've tried a few Moroccan dishes as well... so tasty!
ReplyDelete